Dr. Vijay Kelkar, holds B. S. from University of Pune, India, 1963, M.S. from University of Minnesota, USA, 1965 and Ph.D from University of California at Berkeley, USA, 1970.
Dr. Kelkar has taught at Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad, Center for Economic Development and Administration, Kathmandu, Nepal, South Asia Institute, Heidelberg University, Germany and University of California, Berkeley
He has held various senior level positions in Government of India, as well as in international organizations.
- Chairman, Forum of Federations, Ottawa 
- Chairman, India Development Foundation
- Chairman, Finance Commission, India
- Chairman, IDFC Private Equity, Mumbai
- Advisor to minister of Finance, Government of India in the rank of a Minister of state, from August, 2002 to September, 2004
- Executive Director for India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Bhutan at the International Monetary Fund, Washington, D. C., USA from August, 1999 to August, 2002
- Finance Secretary, Government of India, 1998 – 1999
- Chairman, Tariff Commission, Government of India, 1997 – 1998
- Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India, 1994 – 1997
- Director & Coordinator, International Trade Division, UNCTAD, Geneva, Switzerland, 1991 – 1994
- Chairman, Bureau of Industrial Costs & Prices and Secretary to the Government of India, New Delhi, 1987 – 1991
- Secretary, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, Government of India, New Delhi, 1985 – 1988
- Advisor, Economic Policy & Planning. Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India, New Delhi, 1982 – 1987