Our Center will be comprised of individuals committed to our mission and values. The Center will nourish and nurture young, creative and innovative minds that will make significant contribution
in the field of biological sciences and further the cause of alleviating the sufferings of mankind.
The faculty of this Center is well trained and possesses relevant skills to conduct research and provide interdisciplinary training in fundamental areas at the forefront of medical biotechnology. We aim to cultivate a research environment that will also foster the advancement of the local and national biotechnology industry.
The syllabus covers the latest developments in the medical biotechnology arena and has been designed, based on market needs, whereby employability, developing skills as entrepreneur and grooming students as scientists is the prime consideration. Our efforts are strengthened by collaboration with National level institutes and multinational companies, as well as with visiting scientist. We promote healthy interaction between academia and industry. Additionally, we will undertake contract research and be instrumental in commercialization of any product developed at the laboratory level.
The Center has the following laboratories with state-of-art equipment:
- General laboratory for microbiology and biochemistry studies
- Critical laboratory for molecular biology and genetic engineering studies
- Tissue culture laboratory for in vitro studies
- Bioinformatics laboratory - software package for sequence comparison, restriction enzyme site identification, primer design, and partial protein characterization.
As part of creating the most suitable environment for encouraging and strengthening fundamental research, the University has built a fully equipped, modern Animal House with a floor area of 6,000 Sq.Ft. in strict accordance with the CPCSEA guidelines - the first one of its kind in Rural India.
The house is centrally air conditioned, humidified and maintained as totally sterile, with a capacity to hold at least 100 rodents and 100 mammalians. The House is also equipped with an Operation Theatre, experimental & clinical laboratory, separate breeding rooms, sick rooms, quarantine rooms etc. The animals are housed species wise in separate rooms in polycarbonate cages with supply of sterile water and automatic feeding and drainage system. Waste disposal is done through a special incinerator as per norms of Maharashtra Pollution Control Board.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
EXISTING R & D WORK
The ongoing research program is in the following broad areas:
FUTURE RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Human macrophage differentiation and T cell dichotomy
- Mechanisms of action of antiviral biologicals
Designing and development of novel biological drugs:
The Center for Biotechnology will be actively engaged in identifying prospective therapeutic cytokines, modification of action of existing cytokines or developing antagonist to cytokines. Furthermore, use of cytokines as a diagnostic tool will be investigated.
Screening, Identification and isolation of bio-active molecules from herbal and medicinal plants and marine flora and fauna, in particular, anticancer, antiviral and immuno-modulatory molecules.
- Development of Probiotics
We have various Collaboration for Academic Programs and Research and Development Activities with the following organizations:
- University of Skövde, Sweden.
- Microbax (India) limited, Hyderabad.
- Shrusti Biotech Pvt. Ltd., Kolhapur.
- National Center for Antartic and Ocean Research, Goa (NCAOR).
- National AIDS Research Institute, Pune (NARI).
- Dr. D.K. Gosavi Memorial Shri Siddhivinayak Ganapathi Cancer Hospital, Miraj.
- National Institute of Virology, Pune (NIV)